9.22.2011

To clarify...


Have you ever been misunderstood by someone?

Ever had to go back to a person with whom you had a conversation and “clarify” just what you meant?  If you’re like me, you assumed they understood.  And were surprised – not in a good way – when you discovered that no matter how clearly you thought you communicated, they hadn’t understood AT ALL.

Years ago I heard Beth Moore say – (and I will not get this quote right… for my “momma-memory” fails me) – something to the effect of, “There is a difference between questioning the validity of what God has said, and questioning if we have correctly understood Him.”  In other words, questioning our understanding of God is not the same thing as questioning God.

His Word is perfect – "flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times!" (Psalm 12:6).  But how many times through the ages have His people misunderstood it?  Atrocities and all forms of evil have been “justified” using the Word of God.  Even people who genuinely want to follow Him get things wrong sometimes.  When we approach God with an attitude of humility and a heart to truly know Truth, no question is off-limits.

There is something to be said about sticking to what God has spoken over your life.  But let’s be ever so careful to not confuse faithfulness to a calling with arrogant stubborn-headedness.  If we’re going to be stubborn-headed and faithful to something, let it be singular – HIM.   Let’s stick like glue to HIM, not just to what we think we heard Him say.  Let’s remain focused and faithful to HIM, not just the calling or gift or passion we believe He has given us.

When Dan and I have had to make big life decisions, we’ve asked ourselves (and one another) this question:  What do we know He has said?  During times when you don’t know what to do, it’s good to go back and remember what you do know.  You would think as we’ve gotten older, our “what we do know” list would’ve gotten longer.  I think it’s shortened.  Because the more we come to know God, the more we realize we don’t know much at all. 

This is a random blog post.  I just know that this year of my life is turning out differently than I expected.  I said things out loud, assuming I understood God’s plans… when – although He certainly has spoken through His Word and provided clear direction through prayer, etc. – I was arrogant and silly to stand so firmly on my own understanding of Him.  I’m now hearing Him say, “To clarify…”  It’s a voice of love, of grace, of sweet sovereignty, of merciful patience.  And I just wanted to share it, in case anyone else finds themselves in an unexpected place.  Let Him clarify.  Accept His grace.  Don’t take yourself so seriously.  Stick like glue to HIM, nothing else. 

“Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.  What is your life?  You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes…  Let your ‘yes’ be yes, and your ‘no,’ no…”
- James 4 & 5


“… being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
- Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Post your comments, questions, or thoughts here.