5.18.2012

i love to write


So I got an old typewriter for Mother’s Day.  Dan posted it on twitter and everyone thought one of two things:
1-“Aww… that’s the sweetest gift I’ve ever even heard of!”  
or…
2-“I don’t get it.”

Just wanted to clarify – it wasn’t a joke, so there’s nothing to not get!  (Yay! Whew!)  It was indeed the sweetest gift.  I have wanted an old typewriter FOREVER… I just love love LOVE them.  Here’s a feeble attempt at explaining why. 

[By the way, this is NOT a poem.  This is a therapy session between me, God, and my computer, which I am letting you sit in on.  So… if you try to explicate it, you should know, you and I can no longer be friends.  The end.]



I Love To Write
P.S. Why I Was SO Stinkin’ Excited to Receive an Old Typewriter on Mother’s Day


I love the look of a straight-line cursor blinking on a screen’s blank page.
For some, it means certain stress.
But for me, it means expectant, hopeful, look-what’s-coming-next release.

Writing has always been a joy to me.
Something I did quite naturally.
Never an assignment.
[Well, okay, sometimes an assignment… I mean, there was the eighth grade. 
And Intro to Art summaries in college.  Bleh.]

Crisp white paper locked down under moving black ribbon
pounded by miniscule symbols on the heads of typebars…

Cathode ray tubes deflecting electrons from behind
through my 1997 desktop monitor’s florescent screen…

Still my favorite,
pale blue lines on white shaved trees,
college-ruled, please…

want to be filled
with words.  Beautiful words
shaped from letters, just squiggles of ink,
really.  Squiggles of thought, heart, humanity, divinity, meaning.

And I love it. 
Screen or page. 
Pretty journal, plain looseleaf, or everyday fill-out-a form.
Quill and parchment, old Royal, CRT, LCD, Mac or PC.
(Well, I’d prefer not a PC.)

God filling in the blanks of me.



My 11 year-old daughter gets the Art Award every year
and I wonder at the feeling of the brush in her hand, and the paint waiting to be redeemed. 
Nothing to something.

Intro to Art is the reason no summa graces my undergrad resume
But
God gave her this gift
This specific participation of Himself
And mother and daughter worship Writer and Artist.

She’s not interested in lessons. 
I understand. 
I pray God paints the canvas of her life in strokes of grace.

I also pray that someday
no matter what she does for a “living”
her husband gives her a white canvas, paint tubes, and good brush for Mother’s Day.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you. My favorite line is ...And mother and daughter worship Writer and Artist.
    As I learn to quilt, I've thanked God for the colors after several years of blacks and grays....I need the color. That single line reminds that God has stitched my life together with both vivid color as well as the blacks and grays and one day it will be something beautiful. Thank you for your reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh V, it is a poem. i'm not going to explicate it, but it is lovely. i'm going to read it again. love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Post your comments, questions, or thoughts here.