8.22.2012

back to school prayers for parents | day three | Isaiah 44.1-5


If you’ve read my previous two posts, you’ve caught on that I’m using the Matthew Henry Commentary this week to add some quick input to how to pray these Scriptures.  I’ve joked with the Lord that me and Matthew Henry are praying for my kids.  “Me and Mr. Henry here again, Jesus.”  Though it’s not my all-time favorite commentary, I like that.  Something about the oldness speaks to me.  Lest you look at the footnotes and think Mr. Henry wrote this stuff in 1994, try 1708.  Yep.  Three whole entire centuries ago.  He’s the guy Charles Spurgeon and George Whitefield read.  And that’s just cool.  This scripture prayer in particular is informed by him.  I hope my introduction of commentary blesses your experience of praying these passages as much as Mr. Henry has blessed mine.  Today we’ll use the old 1611 King James Version just for fun.

                  Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant;
                        And Israel, whom I have chosen:
                  2       Thus saith the Lord that made thee,
                        And formed thee from the womb, which will help thee;
                        Fear not, O Jacob, my servant;
                        And thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen.
                  3       For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty,
                        And floods upon the dry ground:
                        I will pour my spirit upon thy seed,
                        And my blessing upon thine offspring:
                  4       And they shall spring up as among the grass,
                        As willows by the water courses.
                  5       One shall say, I am the Lord’s;
                        And another shall call himself by the name of Jacob;
                        And another shall subscribe with his hand unto the Lord,
                        And surname himself by the name of Israel. [1]


1.  Who are we in Isaiah 44?  

We are Jacob, Israel, Jeshurun.

In this address, God uses three names interchangeably:  the name Jacob, carrying connotations of deceit against a brother; the name Israel, which literally translates, “he struggles with God;” and the name Jeshurun, which means “the upright one.”  Sounds like an identity crisis waiting to happen.

In historic context, they were a people who had made a mess of things.  Screwed up.  Again and again.  And again.  Couldn’t get anything right.  Ornery.  The s- word.  (The one that ends with "tupid".)  Or, as Mr. Henry more politely put it, “Jacob and Israel had been represented, in the close of the foregoing chapter, as very provoking and obnoxious to God’s wrath, and already given to the curse and to reproaches.”[2] 

But in the very first word of Isaiah 44 lies the answer to any crisis of identity.  Herein lies their very definition.  Who they were.  Who WE are.  One word.  “YET…”

“Yet now, hear, O Jacob my servant!”

My whole life is hidden in that word. 

It has made all the difference.

And, according to Isaiah 44.1-5, it has made all the difference for my three cutie pie kiddos as well.  Ornery as they may be, on any given day.

The amazing news of Isaiah 44.1-5 is that all this mercy, all this grace, all this happiness, all these blessings, all these promises, belong to me AND MINE.  You AND YOURS.  Yep.  The kids. 

This is a promise straight from the mouth of God, straight to the ears of parents.

Mr. Henry says that the people of Israel are a figure of us.  We are “gospel Israel.”  (I like that.) 


2.  What does Isaiah 44 promise?

First, a promise for us… 

The One who made us, chose us, and called us… helps us.  We don’t have to be afraid.  Though we feel bone dry.  Empty.  Spent.  Done.  Yet…

Those that are barren as the dry ground shall be watered with the grace of God, with floods of that grace, and God will himself give the increase. If the ground be ever so dry, God has floods of grace to water it with.”[3]

Second, a promise for the world…

Galatians 3.16-29 talks about the “seed” mentioned in Isaiah 44.3.  It is Jesus Christ.  He is “the Seed to whom the promise referred… so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe” (Gal. 3.19, 22).  What was promised to all who believe?  (Yes, it really is true; all you have to do is believe.  a-MAZ-ing.)  The HOLY SPIRIT.

Thus, finally, a promise for our children…  the next generation…  the rising church…

An outpouring of blessing, like water.  But not just any ol’ plain ordinary everyday blessing.  I’ll let Mr. Henry take over here:

The water God will pour out is his Spirit (Jn. 7:39), which God will pour out without measure upon the seed, that is, Christ (Gal. 3:16), and by measure upon all the seed of the faithful, upon all the praying wrestling seed of Jacob… [that's us!]...

This gift of the Holy Ghost is the great blessing God had reserved the plentiful effusion of for the latter days [that's now!]: I will pour my Spirit, that is, my blessing; for where God gives his Spirit he will give all other blessings.

This is reserved for the seed and offspring of the church [that's our kids!]; for so the covenant of grace runs: I will be a God to thee and to thy seed. To all who are thus made to partake of the privileges of adoption God will give the spirit of adoption.

Hereby there shall be a great increase of the church. Thus it shall be spread to distant places. Thus it shall be propagated and perpetuated to after-times: They shall spring up and grow as fast as willows by the watercourses, and in every thing that is virtuous and praiseworthy shall be eminent and excel all about them, as the willows overtop the grass among which they grow, v. 4.

Note, It is a great happiness to the church, and a great pleasure to good men, to see the rising generation hopeful and promising. And it will be so if God pour his Spirit upon them, that blessing, that blessing of blessings."[4]

Let’s pray:

Lord, I thank You for calling me Your servant… for choosing me… for making me… for forming me in the womb.  I need help.  Help me, Lord.

Help me to not fear, for I am Your servant, and You’ve chosen me.  Though I’m bone dry, I pray You fill me.  Thank You for the gift of faith to believe in Your Son, Jesus Christ.  I believe.  Therefore, I am Yours. 

I am Yours, and so I pray Your promise for me and mine.  All _________ needs today is Your Holy Spirit.  I pray for an outpouring of Your Holy Spirit on ­­_________ today. I pray You pour out Your blessing on her, that blessing of blessings.

[Eugene Peterson, in The Message paraphrase of the Bible, titles this passage, “Proud to Be Called Israel.”  This isn’t some kind of mean, intolerant “Christian” pride.  But a deep-rooted, unshakeable security in WHO THEY ARE.  And THAT’S what I pray for today...]

Standing on Your promise in Your Word, Lord… 

I pray for _______, that in the dry and thirsty land of ___________ (name of school)... today...  she will know, beyond a shadow of a fear, that SHE IS YOURS. 

That her identity would be wrapped up, encapsulated, and found... in the YET of the gospel.  In YOU.  Jesus.  In You.

Amen.


But for now, dear servant Jacob, listen— yes, you, Israel, my personal choice.
God who made you has something to say to you;
the God who formed you in the womb wants to help you.
Don’t be afraid, dear servant Jacob,
Jeshurun, the one I chose.
For I will pour water on the thirsty ground
and send streams coursing through the parched earth.
I will pour my Spirit into your descendants and my blessing on your children.
They shall sprout like grass on the prairie, like willows alongside creeks.
This one will say, ‘I am God’s,’ and another will go by the name Jacob;
That one will write on his hand ‘God’s property’— and be proud to be called Israel.”
(Isaiah 44.1-5, The Message)


[1] The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2009 (Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version.) (Is 44:1–5). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
[2] Henry, M. (1994). Matthew Henry’s commentary on the whole Bible: Complete and unabridged in one volume (Is 44:1–8). Peabody: Hendrickson.
[3] Henry, M. (1994). Matthew Henry’s commentary on the whole Bible: Complete and unabridged in one volume (Is 44:1–8). Peabody: Hendrickson.
[4] Henry, M. (1994). Matthew Henry’s commentary on the whole Bible: Complete and unabridged in one volume (Is 44:1–8). Peabody: Hendrickson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Post your comments, questions, or thoughts here.