8.23.2012

back to school prayers for parents | day four | Prov. 13.20 & 27.17


Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm.[1]

As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another. [2]


Over the years, I think my husband and I have had more conversations about school choice than about pretty much anything else.  Maybe not, but every August it sure seems that way.  We have thought through, researched, prayed over, [read: over-analyzed] nearly every year of our daughters’ educational careers, starting when our oldest was five.  [Okay, okay… so we started talking about where she’d go to kindergarten before she was born.  Big deal.]

Our approach to choosing what school vs. homeschool vs. private school vs. this school vs. that school is: We take it year by year.  Every year, every option is on the table.  Every option.  So far, I stand by our approach.  I end up with a peace every Fall, that we are exactly where God wants us to be, although I may not understand the reasons why, and although it may be the last place I thought we’d be if you’d asked me in June.

But before that peaceful Fall breezy peace, when we’re in the spring and summer seasons of the year where we’re laying option after crazy option on the table, the heat gets turned up.  And I start to really sweat. 

That season ten years ago, when our oldest was about to be kindergarten-age, and we were making our very first obnoxiously over-analytical school choice – and totally freaking out about it, I might add – a wise, wise, wise, wise, wise friend said something to me I’ll never forget. 

[You see, she was an expert.  Here I was a green newbie preschool parent.  But she?  She taught sex ed to junior highers.  And not just at one junior high school.  She traveled from junior high to junior high all over town teaching sex ed (abstinence).  That day I just knew my friend could tell me which school system to put my five year old punkin into… the one where nobody ever has sex or does drugs or talks back to their teachers.]

But she didn’t.  Instead, she gently but firmly shook me out of my freak-out and into the reality that by the time my daughter is in junior high, the name of the school she attends won’t matter nearly as much as the company of friends she’s a part of, within said school.

We still pray over school choice each year.  But silly me.  It’d make so much more sense to spend so much more time praying over their friends.  Over that network of people they’ll hang out with at the reunion twenty years from now.  Over that circle of kids that will be in each other’s homes and in each other’s business.  There is no perfect school.  But there is a perfect gift – I’ve experienced it myself, so I know! – of a true friendship that makes you love God more and more everyday, and makes you a sharper (not duller) person because of it.

This morning as I was praying for those friendships for my girls, the Lord called to my mind the specific friendships He blessed ME with in my growing up years.  I remembered faces and names, without whom I seriously don’t know where I’d be today.  So I tried something new, and I invite you to try it, too.  I prayed for that specific kind of friend for my girls.  Like, “Lord, I pray for ­­­­­­­____________ (my daugher), that You would give her a ­­­­­­­____________ (the name of one of my friends growing up), someone who will ­­­­­­­____________, ­­­­­­­____________, and ­­­­­­­____________ (all the ways God used that specific friend in my life.)  It turned into a beautiful prayer too personal to share on the world wide web.  But suffice it to say, I’m overcome with gratitude today for the friends He placed ever-so-strategically in my life.  And I’m overcome with trust today that He will do the same for these three daughters of His that live under my crazy care.

Let’s pray:

Lord, I pray for our family’s wider circle today. 

I am not naïve enough to think that my voice is the only one speaking into them day after day.  And the older they get, the more tuned-in to the other voices they are.  I pray today for all of ­­­­­­­____________’s relationships outside of our home.  I pray, Lord, that You’d give her the gift of a friendship that is like “iron sharpening iron”… a mutual encouraging, challenging relationship with someone her age with whom she can be held accountable and be sparked to make right choices and fall more in love with You.  Today.

I pray for the gift of a mentorship relationship with someone older and wiser than ____________, whose voice reflects what we would say, but in a way that ____________ will receive and listen to.  Today.

As ____________ becomes more and more independent, I pray You strategically place friends and mentors in her life to protect her from harm, to increase her wisdom, and to make her a sharper (not duller) student, friend, sister, daughter, and lover of You.  Today.

Amen.




[1] The New International Version. 2011 (Pr 13:20). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
[2] The New International Version. 2011 (Pr 27:17). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Post your comments, questions, or thoughts here.